The Department of Critical Care Medicine in the Cumming School of Medicine invites applications for a Project Coordinator. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 12 months (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Research Program Manager.
The Project Coordinator will work directly with the Principal Investigator and the research team. The Principal Investigator is a Research Assistant Professor in the Departments of Critical Care Medicine and Community Health Sciences. The PI is focused on investigating the institutional organization of healthcare to improve quality and outcomes, and partnering with patients and families to close knowledge-to-practice gaps. The Project Coordinator will coordinate the research program of the PI, including supervision of junior staff members, coordination of research studies, prepare materials for peer-reviewed grant competitions and prepare manuscripts for publication.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Project Coordination
- Develop study protocols and procedures for PI's final review and approval
- Develops and initiates improvement changes to research procedures and practices
- Provide status updates on the research progress as required
- Coordinate and work with other research personnel to recruit participants for research studies
- Mentor, train and develop junior team members including undergraduate students, graduate statues and junior research assistants in areas such as idea inception, student design and research execution
- Aids junior team members in preparing and rehearsing materials for poster sessions and oral presentations. This includes answering questions and providing support as they venture into areas of the research process they have never encountered
- Proactively anticipates problems and develops options or solutions
- Helping to ensure stakeholders are kept informed of the study's progression
- Involved in monitoring, planning, and organizing activities of others on the research team
- Coordinate and administer research projects per established study protocols
- Conduct moderately complex data analysis of study findings
- Represents the research group when the PI is unable
- Research Administration
- Assist in preparing applications for peer-reviewed grant competitions
- Prepare and submit ethics applications, amendments, and renewals
- Create interview and focus group guides and materials and facilitate one-on-one or group discussion
- Responsible for confidential research data management
- Quantitative and qualitative data analysis
- Assist in preparing and drafting manuscripts for publication
- Assist in preparing conference abstracts and presentations
- Preparation of oral summaries of research findings within and beyond the research team
- Perform regular quality control checks on their own work and other team member's work
- Establish and maintain accurate electronic and paper records regarding clinical research
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Masters Degree required, preferably in Health Sciences, Sociology or Epidemiology
- Minimum 5 years of research experience required
- Experience preparing the material for and leading qualitative interviews and focus groups, and conducting qualitative analysis
- Must be comfortable facilitating group discussion
- Experience preparing study surveys and distributing surveys to a large audience
- Must have demonstrated experience writing manuscripts for publication
- Knowledge of research ethics and regulations for granting agencies (e.g. Tri Council)
- Must have experience submitting ethics applications to local ethics boards and submitting operational and administrative approvals to Alberta Health Services
- Experience submitting grant application and conducting systematic reviews is an asset
- Experience coordinating research projects - from protocol development, to ethics submission, to study start-up and close-out
- Experience presenting research to a variety of audiences including oral and poster presentations
- Intermediate to advanced skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Intermediate skills in data analysis software, such as STATA or R
- Advanced skills in qualitative analysis software, such as NVIVO
- Strong and demonstrated skills in critical thinking, innovation and problem solving
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing demands
- Possess both the knowledge and communication skills to convey information to a variety of audiences, including patients, families, clinicians, researchers, and policy makers, often at the same time
- Provide skilled technical procedures to support the research project
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Cumming School of Medicine visit Careers in the Cumming School of Medicine.
About the University of Calgary
The University of Calgary is Canada’s leading next-generation university – a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation’s most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada’s top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.